Recently I ran into this error when users tried to log on to a second partition.
A user session on the server could not be created. Try to start the client again. If the problem continues, contact the Microsoft Dynamics Ax administrator.
It’s weird, because I had just added users with the Active Directory Import Wizard. They already had access to the initial partition and I had no trouble accessing the second partition with my own account. Because of that, none of the solutions I found online worked: the transaction log wasn’t full, the CREATEUSERSESSIONS stored procedure wasn’t broken and the config file was correct.
After comparing records in the UserInfo table I noticed that the new records had no values in the fields Language and HelpLanguage. They are, however, mandatory fields in Ax. They’re also used in CREATEUSERSESSIONS. After setting a value in both fields the problem disappeared. And so peace and productivity returned to the office and everyone was happy.
Well, I wasn’t happy. How is it possible that mandatory fields don’t have any values? I used a standard Ax tool to add the users to the system. After digging through the code it turns out (hooray for cross-references) that a bunch of values for the UserInfo record are copied from user Admin. Sure enough, there was no Language or HelpLanguage defined on that record. For some unknown reason, those values were gone and caused invalid UserInfo records to be created.
I fixed the data for user Admin and never had that problem again. Now I was happy too.
After a long hiatus I decided I should spend some time writing posts here again. I started blogging because I realized that writing about something I had discovered made me understand it better. As a bonus, by putting it on the internet it might have been useful to someone in times when documentation on Axapta was hard to find. Especially my, at the time very new to Axapta, coworkers may have received a couple of links.
As time passed, I got less involved in mentoring people, official documentation improved a lot, priorities shifted and I stopped writing altogether. I used other tools, like Evernote, to keep track of useful information for myself. The Ax developer community has grown immensely since then and many have started blogging too.
Lately, I’ve had my share of amazement, frustration and insights while dealing with Ax. Progress was often attained because someone took the time to answer a question on Stack Overflow, write a blog post or publicly document their findings somehow. And with help from my coworkers of course. Can’t forget those. In the spirit of paying it forward I decided to revive this blog. It’s nice to have a place to redirect people to when they have questions.
I’ve been cleaning up this mess for the past few days but the blog still needs quite a bit of maintenance. WordPress has changed significantly and getting rid of the smell of stale bits is no laughing matter. More real content will arrive shortly.
Glad to see you here.
The old posts are back up and running now. Links and images should be fixed after the move.
Stay tuned for some real content about Dynamics. I’ll be tweaking the site as I go along.
I hope you like the new layout.